Friday, September 20, 2013

My Colonoscopy at Springfield Clinic

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have had some health problems in recent years that have left me disabled. In that post I spoke very highly of the care I have recieved from my doctors, but failed to mention them or the institution they are affiliated with. I would like to correct that error and share my recent experience.

My relationship with Springfield Clinic began in 1959 under the care of Dr. Eveloff. He was the only doctor I saw until the age of 18. I was a healthy child, so most visits were for routine check-ups. Then as today, the staff were always friendly and helpful. Dr. Eveloff and Springfield Clinic had earned my trust through the quality of care that was consistently delivered at every visit.

I met the man who would become my primary physician when he was a resident at SIU family practice. Dr. James Stegeman has been my primary physician for my entire adult life. I will admit that we hit it off the first time we met, and over the years we've become friends. He knows my quirks and has always been willing to help despite them. My trust in him is implicit. His support staff is top notch in every aspect from the receptionist to the nurses.

I went in for my annual wellness visit last month which is discussed in an earlier post. Two days after my visit I received a call from one of Dr. Stegeman's support staff; if I had not yet had a colonoscopy, one needed to be scheduled. These were the words I had been dreading.

I was sent to see Dr.Brad Paris for a consultation. The consultation was short, but very thorough. My first impression was very good. If you have to have this done, the least you could expect is a likeable doctor. Dr. Paris was this and more.

The day before the procedure I started the cleansing process. I had heard all the nightmare stories of having to drink a gallon of the worst tasting liquid ever invented and spending all day and night on the toilet; this has changed. Dr. Paris had prescribed SUPREP, two 6 ounce bottles of fluid taken with water. The first bottle was mixed with water at 10:00 AM and consumed. It had to be followed by two additional glasses of water in the next hour. By 1:00 PM it had done its job, and I no longer worried about my distance from the toilet. A liquid diet for the day; a list of permissible fluids was provided at the consultation. At 8:00 PM the process is repeated. By 10:00 PM the cleansing was complete. Nothing by mouth after midnight. Not a pleasant day, but not nearly as bad as it had been described by others.

My wife and I arrived at the clinic at 5:45 AM the next day. I am not a morning person by any definition, but the clinic is full of them. Happy smiling faces greeted us at every turn. The check-in was painless; the wife was provided a pager so that she did not have to sit in the waiting room. They would notify her when I was in recovery.

After a short wait we were called back to a prep room. Much to my surprise there was a large recliner with a blanket for me to sit in and a TV (remote included) to watch. The nurse went through a few questions to make sure all my information was current. She then provided a gown for me to put on as well as socks. As you know, you wear nothing under this gown. When the wife helped me to put it on, I was surprised to find it was almost as thick as flannel. We cracked the door to let her know I was dressed and in minutes she was in the room with warm blankets. She started an IV and attached the patch to my back that would monitor my vital signs. The anesthesiologist was in to visit and ask a few questions. Dr. Paris then stopped in to make sure we had no further questions before we got started.

A few minutes later the nurse was in to walk me down to where the procedure would be performed. The dreaded walk down the hall with your backside exposed and cold, but wait! As soon as I stood, another nurse was there with a warm blanket which she held over my backside for the walk. They helped me onto the bed, and you guessed it, another freshly warmed blanket. The nurse chatted with me during the short wait for Dr. Paris. When he arrived she told me she was going to start the anesthesia. I watched her push the plunger, and the next thing I know, I'm looking at my wife wondering when they would start. The recovery nurse was waiting with cookies and a soft drink for me while we waited to see Dr. Paris. He was in promptly to explain what was found and to recommend a boost in my fiber intake. My visit ended with a gentle ride in a wheelchair to my car.

The care I received at the clinic for this procedure would rival a first class resort/spa. The staff are friendly people who go above and beyond to make your experience as pleasant as possible. The doctors go out of their way to make sure you understand, and are comfortable with the procedures being performed.

I received a call the next day from Dr. Paris's nurse to check on how I was doing, and to make sure I had no further questions.

I'm not sure when I'll have to go back, but when I do I can rest assured that I will receive the best care available in Central Illinois. Thank you to all involved for making my experience a pleasant one.

Ron Kane

1 comment:

  1. I remember when Dr. Evelof used to come to our house to see me!! Times have changed but the care SC gives has not.

    ReplyDelete