Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Affordable Care Act Part II

Another year has come and gone. Last year about this time I posted about my problems with trying to follow the law and sign up for the A.C.A. The end result last year was applying for an exemption due to the un-affordability for my family.

Here is this year's update. They have fixed some parts of the web-site. Creating an account went smoothly enough, although it refused to retain an address for my wife. After 5 attempts, I assumed that could be fixed at a later date. I completed the rest of the application without incident. The last step of the process is to review and electronically sign that you are providing true information.

Once this step completes, you find out what type of subsidy you qualify for, and begin to shop the available plans. I had done my research, discussed it with family and knew which plan we were hoping to afford. Was I disappointed or surprised? There is the question that cannot yet be answered. On more attempts than I can count, every time I reached the step that would provide the answer, the website displayed an error code. Same code, over and over. I'm two days into the process and stuck exactly where I was last year and the deadline was midnight yesterday. Now what?

Fear not! Displayed on the error code screen was an 800 number that is live 24/7 to help with this or any other problem. Just like last year, I could receive phone assistance. After last year's experience, I knew the hold time could be hours. I was prepared, a snack, fresh drink, and the phone fully charged.

This is where I can proudly tell you about yet another improvement to the service. You no longer need concern yourself with being on hold; it is no longer an option. Leave your name and number and someone will contact you in 5 to 7 days. By leaving the message you are meeting the midnight deadline.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I would have thought given the problems that were apparent in the launch last year, and a year to get it fixed, it would actually work. The fact that it still does not work well enough to actually purchase insurance without support that is not available, has me wondering if it can be fixed. Maybe a better question is, should it?

If anyone needs me, I'll be waiting for my call for the next 5 to 7 days.




No comments:

Post a Comment