Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Affordable Care Act Part III - Endgame

Success has been achieved! My wife is the owner of a brand new shiny health insurance policy. In my last post I was waiting for the phone to ring in order to gain access to the website. Those that know me personally know how patient I am, so yes, I called them back yesterday. A real person answered the phone!

In working with her to solve the problems that kept me from logging into the website it became apparent that the people who are there to assist, really try very hard to do just that. She was pleasant and apologized repeatedly for the problems I was having. Several times during my time on the phone with her, she had to put me on hold while she worked through a problem. Each time she explained what she needed to do and apologized for putting me on hold. Every time she came back to the line, she thanked me for holding. We had been at this for about an hour when she told me she would put me on hold one more time, we were almost there. The hold music played about three notes before the line disconnected. To say I was unhappy would be a very large understatement.

I called back, and after a short wait I was explaining what had happened to a new person. I was hoping to get back to the woman who had been helping me; we were almost done. There is no way for that to be done. Worse yet, the computer system had crashed. I was asked to wait several hours and try calling back. I did learn one more piece of information during this call that helps me to understand just how difficult these representative's job is. The reason the phone disconnected is because the phone system is part of the same computer system used to enroll people in healthcare.

As I stated earlier, I am known for my patience. I called back after waiting about ten minutes. It seems my luck was changing. After explaining the problem yet again to another representative, she happily informed me that the computers were again in working order. No, she had no way of getting me back to representative one, but would be happy to help me finish getting the problems resolved. Within 15 minutes she had all of the concerns fixed and confirmed that I now had access to the website. She also generated a code that would allow me extra time to choose a policy and still have coverage on January first.

After shopping the various policies, my wife and I picked one that would allow my wife to retain her current doctors, without breaking the bank. Made that sound simple, didn't I. It can be very confusing to try and pick a policy based on coverage. What the website shows you is your deductibles and co-pays after any subsidy is applied. When you look at the plan benefits they don't match up. The plan benefits are shown at the retail prices. Not well versed in insurance plans made this a confusing journey for me.

I was directed to the insurance company website to pay the first month's premium for the chosen policy so coverage could begin on time. Upon completing the payment, I was emailed a receipt and the promise of a policy and an I.D. card arriving shortly in the mail. My wife was insured!

Four days of fighting the website, three phone conversations, three very helpful representatives, and I finally have insurance for my wife. My thoughts after this experience are mixed. The A.C.A. does make it possible for me to be able to have health insurance for my wife. Without the subsidy that would not be possible. The people who answer the phone must have halos. They spend their entire day trying to help people with a system so complex that lawyers do not understand it. They accomplish this task with a computer system that has done nothing but crash for more than a year, and yet all three people I dealt with were cheerful and polite.

I'll leave you today with this thought. You are the first representative I talked to. You have spent the better part of an hour fixing all the little glitches so that I can access the website. You are almost done, last step. The system crashes and the phones go dead. You have no way to reconnect with me and even if I call back, I cannot be reconnected to you. Let's be optimistic and assume this only happens twice a day. Could you remain cheerful and polite?

It would seem to me that as frustrating as this is for the consumer, it has to be a stress filled nightmare for those who deal with this every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment